In the Atlas General Hospital, a specific type of anesthetic block has recently been applied in oncology and aesthetic breast surgery. It is a method of ultrasound-led ultrasound thoracic paravertebral block (TPB), introduced by Dr. Vladan Milošević, the head of anesthesia in our hospital.
What is thoracic paravertebral block?
Thoracic paravertebral block is a recognized technique for perioperative analgesia in patients undergoing chest surgery, whether it is aesthetic or oncological surgery, as well as in those patients who undergo chest surgery or pain control due to rib fracture.
Ultrasound-Guided Thoracic Paravertebral Block. Taken from NYSORA.com
Technique of thoracic paravertebral block is performed by giving local anesthetic in so called “paravertebral space” that is placed between rips, vertebrae, accessory ligaments and endotoracic fascia. Ultrasound is used to precise the space where local anesthetic should be given without fear of hurting local structures.
Advantages of Thoracic Paravertebral Block
Numerous clinical studies proved different advantages of this technique:
TPB is more simple technique regarding classical thoracic epidural anesthesia.
Pain relief of the patient is practically the same regarding classical thoracic epidural anesthesia.
There are smaller risk of neurologic complications regarding different techniques of regional anesthesia.
- Occurrence of low blood pressure (hypotension) is rare.
- Urinary retention (inability to urinate) does not occur.
- Less nausea, vomiting and constipation regarding technique of pain relief because usage of opioid preparation in pain control significantly lowered.
- Food after operation can be given to patient sooner and mobilization of the patient is faster.
- PVB pain relief is more intensive and lasts longer regarding other techniques.
- PVB lowers chronical pain after operation of the breast and operation on the chest.
- Smaller perioperative morbidity and faster recovery of the patient.
Whether it is mastectomy or breast enlargement, PVB can give you complete pain relief and make your stay at hospital far more comfortable.
Atlas General Hospital- dedicated to innovative medicine!