Oncology is a branch of medicine that deals with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
Oncology is becoming more important year after year, taking into account the increasing number of malignant diseases. One of the tasks of oncology is the screening of the population and relatives of patients diagnosed with malignant diseases, which have a strong hereditary basis (such as breast cancer). Specialists are constantly researching and trying the new types of therapy, while existing treatments are improved in order to find the most effective therapy.
The oncology specialist in cooperation with doctors of other specialties deals with diagnosis and treatment of malignant diseases.
The field of oncology has three main areas: medical, surgical and radiological.
- Medical oncologist treats cancer using chemotherapy or other drugs, such as targeted therapy.
- Surgical oncologist removes tumors and near by tissue during an operation and is preforming certain types of biopsies.
- Radiation oncologist treats cancer using radiotherapy.
There are other types of oncologists that are:
- Gynecologic oncologist treats gynecologic cancers as cancer of the womb and cervical cancer.
- Pediatric oncologist treats cancer in children. Some types of cancers are most common in children and teenagers, as brain tumors, leukemia, osteosarcoma and Ewing sarcoma, but sometimes it occurs in adults. In these cases, an adult person can decide to be examined by pediatric oncologist.
- Hematologist-oncologist diagnoses and treats malignant blood disorders, such as leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma.
A person with cancer is often treated by a team of oncologists who specialize in different areas of oncology. This approach is very helpful for treating cancer because it combines operation, chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
Oncologist follows the patient from establishing cancer diagnoses during the entire course of illness. The role of an oncologist includes the following activities:
- Explains diagnosis and stages of carcinoma to the patient.
- Discussed about all relevant option of the treatment.
- Offers high standards of care.
- Helps patient to manage pain and other symptoms or undesired effect.
- When cancer is diagnosed in advanced stage or a complete cure cannot be achieved, oncologist does a care of the patient.
In Atlas General Hospital you can perform the following oncology services:
- Diagnostic of malignant diseases
- Clinical examination
- Histopathological diagnostics
- Laboratory diagnostics
- Treatment of cancer diseases
- Cytostatic therapy
- Symptomatic and supportive treatment
Breast cancerSearch for additional information: Internist examination – Oncology